Learn about the kinds of watches carried by soldiers in the American Civil War, how these watches were used, and their importance to the men who carried them.
This exhibit features 18 examples of watches carried by or presented to soldiers of the American Civil War, together with the stories of the men, their units and their deeds.
- Self-guided, narrated touchscreen presentations enhance the viewing experiences
- Represents every rank of soldier, from private to major general
- Also on display: many other watches, both common and scarce, from the Civil War period.
Opens: July 6, 2019
Closes: January 31, 2020
Don’t Forget The Book
“The Appreciation and Authentification of Civil War Timepieces is a masterful, authoritative work that covers all aspects of the manufacturing, distribution, use, and subsequent collection of these vintage pieces.”
Multiple award-winning Civil War author
Fascinating new book on Civil War timepieces
The Appreciation and Authentication of Civil War Timepieces
Author Clint B. Geller examines the intersection of the American Civil War and American watch-making in this horological/historical study
With 162 images, including many original photos of Civil War timepieces, along with tables and references, this book makes an excellent addition to the collection of any horologist or Civil War enthusiast.
Don’t Miss The Kickoff Event
Saturday, July 6, 2019
The all-day event includes:
- Hear experts in the fields of U.S. history, horology, and the Civil War in a series of seminars and in an open, all-participants discussion session.
- Author Clint Geller will be signing copies of his new book, The Authentication and Appreciation of Civil War Timepieces